The directorate comprises of General Administration Services; Human Resource Management and Development; Finance; Supplies Chain Management; Accounts; Internal Audit; Information Communication Technology; Public Communications; Central Planning and Project Monitoring; Gender Mainstreaming, Records management and Legal Services. The Directorate is headed by Secretary Administration.
Directorate of Administration and Support Services
This department provides centralized services and is responsible for the co-ordination and facilitation of policy formulation, development, implementation, monitoring, evaluation and review of policies; supervision, office organization, records management, and handling of the mainstreaming of cross cutting issues, and linkages with other Ministries and management of administrative services at the State Department of Petroleum
The functions of the department are:-
- co-ordination and stewardship of Government business and responding to emerging policy and development initiatives;
- promotion of statehood and nationhood
- policy formulation, analysis and review
- general administration and office management
- management of staff in areas of deployment
- responding to parliamentary business
- co-ordination of official and state functions
- preparation of reports, speeches and briefs
- arbitration of disputes
- customer care
- responding to emerging issues and initiatives such as economic
- recovery strategies and sustainable development goals
- implementation and follow ups of Presidential directives with respective sectors
- inter-ministerial liaison
- promotion of ethics and integrity
- management of public resources and asset
- promotion of the Government image
- and promotion of good governance
Email to firstname.lastname@example.org
The department is responsible for matters relating to Human Resource Management and Development within the State Department.
The head of Human Resource Management and Development is also the Secretary to the Ministerial Human Resource Management Advisory Committee (MHRMAC) and Ministerial Performance Management Committee (MPMC).
The Functions include:
- Providing strategic leadership to the State Department’s Human Resource Management.
- Implementing Human Resource Management policies, rules and regulations.
- Advising the State Department on staffing levels and career guidelines.
- Staff related issues (promotions, welfare, performance management, discipline and disciplinary procedures, pension claims) and labor relations.
- Performance management, Training and Development.
- Managing Human resource information systems and ensuring safe custody of records.
- Budgeting for Personnel Emoluments.
- Succession management and planning.
- Processing appointments.
- Giving guidelines and standards on work Environment, Health and Safety.
- Advising on Human Resource Development policies and regulations.
- Undertaking Training Needs Analysis.
- Management and co-ordination of Training.
- Guidelines on internship and attachment.
The Division is divided into the following sections:
- Human Resource Registry.
- Salaries and Allowances (payroll management).
- Exit from the Civil Service and Terminal Benefits.
- Recruitment, Selection, Appointment, Transfers and Leave management
- Complement control.
- Ministerial Human Resource Management Advisory Secretariat (MHRMAS).
Finance Unit is responsible for coordination of budget planning, analysis, forecasting and reporting. It also monitors, evaluates and reports on budget performance.
The Finance function includes:
- processing of estimates for the program budget, expenditure monitoring and budget performance reviews
- Prioritisation of programs and projects for results based allocation of resources
- Issuance of Authority to Incur Expenditure (AIE)
- expenditure and revenue forecasts
- monitoring of Revenue and Expenditure
- prioritisation of projects and activities for the purpose of financial allocations in the budget
- oversight of commitment of funds and expenditure trends, in line with Treasury Circulars
- budget monitoring and reporting
- reallocations within Budgeted Heads and programmes and the overall financial management and control of voted funds
- offering strategic leadership on all matters pertaining to financial management in the state department
The Budgetary function includes:
- processing of estimates for the Program Budget
- expenditure monitoring
- prioritisation of programs and activities for Results Based allocation of resources
- expenditure monitoring and evaluation
- oversight of absorption of funds and expenditure trends
- performance measurement
- budget planning, analysis, forecasting and reporting
- reallocations within budget programmes
- development of Budget Policy and Policy analysis and the overall financial
- management and control of voted funds.
This unit provides professional and technical support services in Information Communication Technology (ICT) within the state department.
The ICT functions include:
- Coordinate implementation of the National ICT Policy and regulatory framework
- Ensure compliance with ICT Standards and Guidelines
- spearheading e-Government initiatives and Systems
- Analysis, design and development of Systems
- formulating and developing Government information infrastructure in the State
- Department’s Local Area Networks, Wide Area Networks, Intranets
providing advisory services on ICT
- facilitate training on the use of computers, relevant software packages
- providing hardware and software maintenance support services
- Providing user support and help desk services
- Liaising with hardware and software vendors for administration of guarantees and warranties
- Implement hardware and software security guidelines
- ICT user awareness programmes
The Unit is responsible for performing Economic Policy function in the State Department.
Functions of the Unit include:
- Economic planning, analysis, and review of government development policies, strategies, programmes and projects.
- Review, monitoring and evaluation of development programmes and projects.
- Provision of evidence based advice to the Principal Secretary on economic policy and planning.
- Collection, analysis and storage of statistical data and information on the Petroleum sector.
- Track and report on the implementation of Vision 2030 flagship programmes and projects for the Oil and Gas sector.
- Co-ordination of strategic planning and performance contracting including implementation monitoring, reviews and evaluation.
- Collaboration in the Medium Term Framework (MTEF) budgeting process, performance review and reporting.
Email to email@example.com
Gender mainstreaming and development is drawn from the Constitution of Kenya and various International and Regional Conventions. The Unit is responsible for ensuring that the State Department conducts its business in compliance with the provisions of the National Gender Development Policy.
Functions of the Unit include:
- Institutionalize and monitor gender mainstreaming including establishment of gender committees and Technical Working Groups (TWGs)
- Formulation and implementation of gender responsive policies, plans and programs
- Promote and report on level of compliance with two thirds gender principle
- Undertake research, baseline surveys on gender issues
- Report on level of compliance on Access to Government Procurement Opportunities (AGPO)
- Compilation of gender-disaggregated data to inform policy and programming.
- Coordinate programs for the reduction of Sexual and Gender Based Violence (SGBV) at the work place
- Sensitization on gender programs and prepare regular reports to the monitoring bodies.
- Report on the implementation of International and Regional Treaties, Conventions and Protocols on Gender
- Establish linkages with partners and key stakeholders in the sector on Gender
The unit is responsible for creation, maintenance, storage, retrieval, dissemination and disposal of records
The functions of the Unit include:
- Ensure that public services records are delivered in accordance with the Constitution
- Create, maintain and preserve complete records across the State Department
- Establish and maintain proper documentation of records and inventory of
- information needed for decision-making processes
- Controlling of public records including records retrievals from the National archives
- Initiate training of staff on effective records keeping
The Unit provides professional, administrative and operational support on matters of public communication in the Ministry to provide sustained positive image for the State Department,
Functions of the Unit include:
- Implementation of public communication policy
- Development of efficient (internal & external) communication structures and channels to ensure free flow of information and proper feedback mechanisms
- Propagation and promotion of the State Department’s policies, programmes and project
- Enhanced partnership with media; and
- Enhanced transparency with stakeholders through information sharing and engagement.