The Directorate is responsible for Overall coordination of upstream, midstream and downstream Petroleum operations. The Directorate is headed by Secretary, Petroleum, Mr. Martin M. Heya, OGW.
- Overall coordination of Upstream, Mid-stream and Downstream Petroleum operations;
- Development and review of Policies, Legal, Regulatory and Contractual Framework for spearheading upstream and mid-stream and downstream petroleum operations;
- Negotiation and the regulation of Production Sharing Contracts;
- Advising on change of administration in active Production Sharing Contracts;
- Ensure security of supply of petroleum products in the country;
- Capacity development in the areas of Petroleum Geosciences, Petroleum Engineering, Petroleum Economics, Petroleum Accounting, Petroleum Resource Appraisal & Management and Procurement techniques;
- Enforcement of Environmental Protection and Management regulations in liaison with National Environmental Management Authority (NEMA);
- Ensuring buildup of local content capacity in line with National Policy Goals;
- Development and updating of Petroleum Master-Plan for exploration, development, production and marketing of the produced oil & gas; and
- Development and review of modalities and strategies for licensing of Petroleum exploration Blocks in bid rounds and custodian of all signed Production Sharing Contracts.
The Directorate of Petroleum has three divisions namely